Using Python With Server Admin API

Jump to solution
11-11-2012 04:22 PM
ShaunWeston
Occasional Contributor
I've just starting having a look at the server admin API and how to use python with this. I've created and altered some scripts from the samples here:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Example_Derive_map_service_statistics_from...

and the server admin API toolkit that was posted on the resource center.

I've got things working, but not getting much information back as the server logs are set to Warning by default and my understanding is they need to be on FINE for these scripts to work effectively. So if I wanted to run a script say once a week to look at stats of my services and extents being panned to, I would have to keep the server logs on FINE at all times?

Would this cause a performance hit having the logs set to FINE and why is the default Warning?

Cheers 🙂
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Shaun,

Yes, you would need to keep the logging level set to FINE.  This logs common messages from use of the server, like names of operation requests  received. This level includes severe, warning, and info messages.  See here.

This will not cause a significant performance hit, possibly none at all.  The only logging level that is not recommended for a production environment is 'Debug' as this will cause a significant decrease in server performance.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JakeSkinner
Hi Shaun,

Yes, you would need to keep the logging level set to FINE.  This logs common messages from use of the server, like names of operation requests  received. This level includes severe, warning, and info messages.  See here.

This will not cause a significant performance hit, possibly none at all.  The only logging level that is not recommended for a production environment is 'Debug' as this will cause a significant decrease in server performance.
0 Kudos
ShaunWeston
Occasional Contributor
Ah awesome cool, good to know 🙂
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Is this API available with ArcGIS Server 10.0?
0 Kudos
ShaunWeston
Occasional Contributor
I'm pretty sure the server admin API is new at Server 10.1, but I'll let someone from Esri confirm that 🙂
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Shaun is correct.  ArcGIS Server Administrator API is new at 10.1.
0 Kudos