error in Edit Settings by admin

11-07-2012 08:41 AM
NancyMarth
New Contributor II
Hi, On and off now for several months during our trial and paid AGOL subscriptions, I've been receiving an error message when trying to edit the settings on my AGOL site (I'm the administrator). (Edit Settings under the My Organization view). The error message reads "Unable to save your settings at this time".  I've been able to make edits before but it's sporadic and today, I haven't been able to make any edits due to this error message and really need to!  Can this be fixed?

Thank you.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Are you still having this issue? From the error, the server didn't respond. Are you possibly having network connection issues?

Mike
0 Kudos
NancyMarth
New Contributor II
Yes, still having the issue today.  No other connection issues here where I work.  I can even use the web site subscription and do everything else like upload hosted services, change properties of maps and save them, tweak user IDs, but when I try to edit that general settings area, it doesn't save and I receive the error.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The problem turned out to be extraneous HTML code in the description for the organization, which brings up a good point...

When writing descriptions of things in ArcGIS Online, whether for items you add, web maps you create or even your organization's description, it's best not to copy text from existing web pages. You get a lot of extra HTML code that you can't see. If you do want to copy text from a web page, paste it into Notepad first, which will strip off all HTML.

Mike
0 Kudos
NatalieRunyan
New Contributor
And, so, to complete the solution (solve the problem), you should cut any text in ANY of the description boxes (mine had worked previously but somehow got corrupt between Esri upgrades), paste it out into Notepad, and bring it back in clean without formatting (then use the formatting tools provided if you'd like).

(Would be nice if the owner of the thread could mark this answered.)

The problem turned out to be extraneous HTML code in the description for the organization, which brings up a good point...

When writing descriptions of things in ArcGIS Online, whether for items you add, web maps you create or even your organization's description, it's best not to copy text from existing web pages. You get a lot of extra HTML code that you can't see. If you do want to copy text from a web page, paste it into Notepad first, which will strip off all HTML.

Mike
0 Kudos
KatieKennedy
New Contributor
The problem is that you can cut the text out, but thencan't save the settings edits, so that extraneous html code is still there!   How can you actually get it to save settings edits so that code doesn't keep coming back???!!!!!!  Very frustrating.  We need to allow anonymous access, but we cannot make that settings change.  Please help!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Did you try editing the text in HTML Source mode? I believe you will be able to delete all extraneous tags. If this doesn't work for you, I'd suggest calling Esri Technical Support, and they should be able to completely clear the description.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos