problems with publishing a map service; cannot get to service editor

10-30-2012 11:36 AM
SarahBarr
New Contributor
Hello,

I am new to ArcGIS Server. I am trying to publish a map service to ArcGIS Server 10.1. I have connected to our ArcGIS Server through ArcCatalog, and registered the data (a file gdb) I am using. (I had to place a copy of the data on our Server). I have publisher permissions and I set read/write permissions for the gdb in Windows Explorer. So from the MXD I choose Share As>Map Service>Publish a Service>I choose my connection and a name for the service>I use the default folder, and then I click Continue. Then nothing happens. According to the tutorials, I should see the Service Editor window and see the Map Service in ArcCatalog, and I see nothing. I get no error message. I do not see the map service listed in ArcCatalog or in ArcGIS Server Manager.

Could someone help?

Thanks.
Sarah
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi Sarah,

I've seen this behaviour a couple of times. Restarting the ArcGIS Server Windows service and restarting the ArcMap usually helped. After having this done, start simple just to make sure you are able to get the Service Editor by authoring a new very simple map document accessing data locally in ArcMap and then publishing it.
0 Kudos
SarahBarr
New Contributor
Hi Sarah,

I've seen this behaviour a couple of times. Restarting the ArcGIS Server Windows service and restarting the ArcMap usually helped. After having this done, start simple just to make sure you are able to get the Service Editor by authoring a new very simple map document accessing data locally in ArcMap and then publishing it.

Thanks. I am trying to stop and restart the server, but I'm having trouble with this as well. I am in ArcGIS Server Manger and I am following the steps provided in the help files (see below), but when I click Manage Services, the Start, Stop, and Restart commands to not appear. Maybe something else is wrong here? Thanks for your help with this.

ArcGIS Server Manager

Open ArcGIS Server Manager and log in. If you need help with this step, see Logging in to Manager.
    Click Services > Manage Services. The Manage Services module appears and reveals the Start, Stop, and Restart commands.
    Click one of these commands. It is applied only to the service you selected in the module.
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Sarah,

Test these things first:
1) Go to Services (Windows Start button > type services.msc). Restart the service named ArcGIS Server.

2) Log in to Manager and check that in the Utilities folder there is PublishingTools service. Restart this ArcGIS Server system service.
0 Kudos
SarahBarr
New Contributor
Hi Alexey,

Thanks for all your help, but so far, I have had no success. I followed your instructions, restarted the server, created a new, simple map document accessing local data, I put a copy of the data on the server, registered the data, made sure the permissions to both sets of data were read and write. But then when publishing the map service, ArcMap still does not launch the Service Editor, and I still do not see my Map Service in ArcCatalog.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Sarah, have you restarted the PublishingTools service? Are you able to confirm that its status is Started?

You might also consider to log in an incident with Esri Tech Support since it's a bit hard to troubleshoot what's wrong.
0 Kudos
SarahBarr
New Contributor
Thanks again. I cannot even get to the Utilities folder from Manager. I am thinking something might be wrong with how this was set-up. In "Manage Services" we have under Folders the "Site (root)" folder but there is no Service. There is no Service for me to click to get to the Utilities folder. So I am not sure what is going on.

As you say, I may need to log an incident with ESRI.

Thanks for all your help.

Sarah
0 Kudos