Spatial Analyst error in script tool with "Run Python script in process" unchecked

10-26-2012 12:52 PM
NilsBabel
Occasional Contributor II
Has anyone had errors with spatial analyst functions in script tools that have the property "Run Python script in process" unchecked?  I have a script which I've stripped down to a few simple lines.  The spatial analyst function I'm running is arcpy.sa.Reclassify.  (I've also tried ReclassByAscii and IsNull).  The script tool works fine when "Run Python script in process" is checked.  However, when it is unchecked the tool crashes.  The strange thing is when I have the statement in a python try/except statement the script tool just hangs and never crashes.  When I remove the try/except statement it just crashes with a generic ERROR 000714 error but no geoprocessing or traceback messages.  When I run the script outside of ArcGIS it works fine. 

I'm trying to run a multiprocessing script from a script tool which is why I need to uncheck "Run Python script in process".  I'm using ArcGIS 10.0.  Is this a bug?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NilsBabel
Occasional Contributor II
Just tried this script in ArcGIS 10.1 and it doesn't work at all with "Run Python script in process" unchecked.  I just created a very simple script to test it:
import arcpy
arcpy.AddMessage("Hello World")

Works fine with the check box checked.  Throws an error when the box is unchecked.  Am I the only one that has ever unchecked this option?
0 Kudos
dariomasante
New Contributor II
Hi all, I know it is an old thread, but might be useful anyway. After spending a whole afternoon checking my script I found out there was a very simple answer, error 000714 was not a script error, but a file extension issue.
After finishing your script, be sure to save it with .py extension, then your tool in arcgis will work fine.
Hope it helps!
0 Kudos