'Out of memory' message in Image classification toolbar

Jump to solution
10-25-2012 02:14 AM
JakeSimpson
New Contributor II
I am using ArcMap 10.1 with Spatial analyst extension. 

The issue is in using 'Image classification tool', specifically when trying to analyse the training samples using scatterplots/histograms/statistics from the 'Training sample manager'.  When I try to analyse the sample, I get an error message saying 'out of memory'.

This does not seem to be resolved by freeing space in the geodatabases or by attempting the operation in a new/empty session/geodatabase.  I also tried using smaller training samples, but I still get the same error.  I have also tried increasing the amount of available memory, but this was also ineffective. 

Any ideas/help would greatly appreciated as this is a persistant and very irritating problem.

Thanks

Jake
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSimpson
New Contributor II
For other users with this problem, me and ESRI support eventually figured out the problem.

The way I was processing the Landsat images through the raster calculator and saving into a geodatabase meant the resulting rasters had a pixel type 32 bit signed.  This is too much for the scatterplot/histogram functions to handle.  Therefore the rasters used in the land classification toolbar need to be 8 bit unsigned, AND the statistics need to be calculated for the raster.  To convert 32 bit signed to 8 bit unsigned, in Arc catalog right click on raster->export .

Jake

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
What type of raster are you classifying?  What bit depth?  How many training sites are you using?  How many classes?  Where is the input raster stored? What is the cell size of the input?
0 Kudos
JakeSimpson
New Contributor II
What type of raster are you classifying?  What bit depth?  How many training sites are you using?  How many classes?  Where is the input raster stored? What is the cell size of the input?

Thanks for your reply.

It's a false colour composite (bands 7 5 4) of Landsat TM5 image, 32 bit signed integer, uncompressed size = 618.7MB, cell size= 30.  The raster is stored in a file geodatabase on the shared network drive of the company, but also tried doing it on C:\.  I used around 5-10 smallish training sites per class, and there are 4 classes (water, forest, non-forest and cloud). 

Jake
0 Kudos
JakeSimpson
New Contributor II
I should also point out, that all of yesterday I was able to use the image classification toolbar and view the scatterplots.  The problem seems to have occurred today. 

Thanks Jeff,

Jake
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
Have you cleared out your temp directory? Mine is at C:\Users\mboucher\AppData\Local\Temp. I routinely delete everthing in this directory, especially when I'm getting errors it Arc Map. I can't recall this directory being related to "out of memory" errors though.
0 Kudos
JakeSimpson
New Contributor II
Have you cleared out your temp directory? Mine is at C:\Users\mboucher\AppData\Local\Temp. I routinely delete everthing in this directory, especially when I'm getting errors it Arc Map. I can't recall this directory being related to "out of memory" errors though.

Yes I tried deleting all temp files a while back, but this doesn't seem to resolve the problem. 

Any other ideas?

Jake
0 Kudos
JakeSimpson
New Contributor II
For other users with this problem, me and ESRI support eventually figured out the problem.

The way I was processing the Landsat images through the raster calculator and saving into a geodatabase meant the resulting rasters had a pixel type 32 bit signed.  This is too much for the scatterplot/histogram functions to handle.  Therefore the rasters used in the land classification toolbar need to be 8 bit unsigned, AND the statistics need to be calculated for the raster.  To convert 32 bit signed to 8 bit unsigned, in Arc catalog right click on raster->export .

Jake
0 Kudos
JoshuaDaskin
New Contributor
Have other folks had this problem lately? I've tried arcmap 10 and 10.2 and keep getting "out of memory", including with rasters that I was able to classify and view training sample histograms for a few weeks back. I tried the raster export with Renderer and Force RGB checked on, and I've tried Copy Raster to 8-bit. The 8 bit images give me the same error. Any help out there much appreciated.
0 Kudos