Registering a folder in ArcGIS for Server 10.1

10-22-2012 02:46 PM
TylerVick
New Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I'm just starting out with Server 10.1 and have decided to create a sandbox site on my computer. I've gotten through the initial setup, but am now getting hung up on the 'Registering Your Data' section, which includes 'Registering a Folder'.  I've created a folder on  my hard drive which looks like this: C:\Users\tvick\Documents\ArcServerSandbox. However, I'm not sure what my 'Publisher Folder Hostname' should be?  Under My Computer, it shows my computer name as 'MFA-191'.  However, I get an error when I attempt to include this.  What am I doing wrong? 

TV
Tags (2)
4 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Tyler,

... However, I'm not sure what my 'Publisher Folder Hostname' should be?

For the Publisher Folder Host Name, specify the name of the machine that is hosting the publisher's folder.

FYI, for more details: Registering your data with ArcGIS Server using Manager

Q) Is your machine 'MFA-191', the machine that is hosting the source data for your services?

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno
Occasional Contributor III
Try using a UNC path i.e. \\computer name\path
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
TV,
Derek already answered that the 'publisher folder host name' is your machine name or IP address (without fully qualifying it).

There are few points I'd like to bring up in case some one (using ArcGIS Server for the first time) reads this thread:

• I'd recommend you not to use folder inside your user-profile, instead use something like C:\data\ArcServerSandbox. The reason behind this is that on your production machine, ArcGIS Server account *should* not have access to any folder in your profile (in fact, it should have limited access to your local/shared folders/databases).

• Please make sure ArcGIS Server Account has at least "read-only" access to the folder that contains your data, in your case, which may be C:\data\ArcServerSandbox

Thanks.
-Tanu
0 Kudos