AnsweredAssumed Answered

Pros/Cons of using SQL Exp. (10.1Server Workgroup) as distribution and web editing DB

Question asked by ctalleygreenville on Oct 22, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 26, 2013 by ctalleygreenville
Hello all,

I would love to hear from anyone that is currently using any of the below scenarios - pros and cons you have experienced.

Web Server is 10.1 ArcGIS Server Advanced with SDE for Server Workgroup 10.1 also installed.

Background: Our main production database (SDE Enterprise) is going to be stuck at SDE 10 on SQL 2005 for several months and it really cannot take anymore application server connections.  Direct connect from 10.1 (the default) to a 10 SDE on sql 2005 is not supported - plus we have tried it - sometimes it will work and the next day it will fail.  We see why that isn't supported.

So, I am trying SQL Server Express with SDE for Server Workgroup license as a "distribution and web editing database" on this 10.1 Server web server.  We are fortunate enough to have an ELA to do this. 

Per documentation here:
10.1 help for Database Servers
we should experience no limit to connections through web applications.

1) is the above statement really true?  We can theoretically have unlimited feature and map services to this Database Server connection (SDE for Workgroup for Server)?   Only connections from ArcGIS will be for admin/maintenance.

2)  Our main goal with this is to be able to use feature services for web editing by the public and/or smaller projects by City Employees to edit their own data (with GIS to push that data back to production databases - method yet to be determined).  We do have one feature editing app running so we know it seems to work.  But is there a limit to the editing? Anyone else doing this with success?

3) I would like to explore using this SQL Express for our "distribution" database for web applications.  Vector only.  Shouldn't go over 10GB limit at all.  That way all data connections are outside the firewall.  Probably try replication or using python truncates and appends.  Anyone using this option?  Have you hit any problems?  I think one downside is that I may not be able to use spatial views but that can be worked around for this.

Any information on pros and cons will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carmen

Outcomes