Related Tables in ArcGIS Online?

10-16-2012 01:58 PM
NicholasGlover
New Contributor
My company that I work for is trying to get a map up online for our people to see out in the field. What I would like to know is will we be able to have those related tables out in the field like we would on ArcMap. I haven't been able to find a clear answer on this, but from what I've done so far it looks like the answer might be no. If the answer is no, can anyone give me an idea for how I might be able to do this because we need these related tables.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
ArcGIS.com doesn't have any way to display related data. ArcGIS Server services support related data, so you could write your own application...

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
NicholasGlover
New Contributor
Where would I need to look to get information on how to write this application? Another thing I would like to note is that we would be using Ipads to view our data out in the field.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Well, there are several APIs you could work with. First, determine which language you want to write your application in. JavaScript, Flex, Silverlight.  There's an API for each.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/communities/web/

Here's a sample of querying related records in JavaScript.
http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/help/jssamples/fl_query_related.html

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
NicholasGlover
New Contributor
Thanks for the help Mike! This has given me a good start at looking at using JavaScript.
0 Kudos
DaveAlmond
New Contributor III
Thanks for the help Mike! This has given me a good start at looking at using JavaScript.

Nicholas-
If you have had any luck exposing related tables for viewing/editing in the ArcGIS Online platform I would be very interested in the
methodology you used to do so.  I would like to enable editing of feature classes with multiple related tables in ArcGIS Online for
maintaining volunteer stream monitoring data, but I'm no programmer, so any experience you have had would be helpful. Thanks.