Arcpy, Python2.6 and Windows 7: HELP

10-04-2012 07:09 AM
PaulMarcou
New Contributor
This topic has been addressed on this forum in some respects but I can't seem to piece together enough info to fix my situation. So here it goes; I have a short Python script that I want to use to run 4 tools that I built in Model Builder. Ultimately, I want to be able to run this short script with Windows Scheduler to run a periodic update on a Municipality parcel layer.
When I put the Python code into an IDLE window, everything runs as it should. However, when I attempt to run the script from the cmd window, I get the following set of errors:

C:\Users\marcoup\Documents\temp\NewLondon\Development\ParcelUpdater\Models\Pytho
n>python CreateNLOutaParcels.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "CreateNLOutaParcels.py", line 4, in <module>
arcpy.ImportToolbox(r"C:\Users\marcoup\Documents\temp\NewLondon\Development\
ParcelUpdater\Models\Python\OutagamieTools.tbx","Outagamie")
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy\arcpy\__init__.py", line
94, in ImportToolbox
return import_toolbox(input_file, module_name)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy\arcpy\toolbox_code.py",
line 408, in import_toolbox
toolbox = gp.createObject("Toolbox", tbxfile)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_bas
e.py", line 377, in createObject
self._gp.CreateObject(*gp_fixargs(args)))
ValueError: Error opening Toolbox.

I have just started using Python so I only have a rudimentary knowledge but based on the errors and what I've read from other forum posts here, I'm confident this has something to do with the ArcPy library and Windows 7. However, I don't have a good enough knowledge of the inner workings of the OS to really start messing with things (and suffer the wrath of our IT dept.).
I can tell you that I can run other Python scripts from the cmd window that don't use the arcpy library, so that also confirms my thoughts.

At any rate, if someone could help out with this, it would be great. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated and don't be afraid to dumb it down for me too.

I am currently running ArcGIS 10.0/SP5, Python 2.6.5, 64 bit Windows 7. Let me know if you need any other information.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
PhilMorefield
Occasional Contributor III
First, you'll need to attach your script in order for someone to help.

Second, make sure that when you type 'python' into the cmd window, you get a Python prompt.
0 Kudos