Mobile Overview Tablets

09-28-2012 11:44 AM
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
Trying to wrap my head around this and what needs to be set up.  We work with a 3rd party that has our SDE and has a couple Silverlight apps...albeit all within out firewalls...I also have an internal silverlight app

I want to take an android tablet and go to the field and edit the SDE data live.
I could use the Android SDK and create an app for the tablet/phone

From outside the Firewall:
But what needs to happen in regards to the data itself (SDE)
How am I establishing security?
How am I serving up the FC to access from the application?
How to I bridge the gap from the Android Tablet, through the firewall to access and edit the SDE data?
How do I make the service avaliable to the outside world, but control who sees it

THe 3rd party has a web server sitting in the DMZ but how do we authenticate? Can we set up User name and logins?
Are their additional software/hardware requirements to do this?

Any help understanding the whole picture and security would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanO_Neill
Occasional Contributor III
The Android API does not currently support editing of SDE databases directly.  I will try and address your questions by describing a workflow for working with SDE data in a connected mode:

1. Ensure all the data in a single SDE geodatabase with write permissions. 

2. Publish your map document as a map service in ArcGIS Server and enable the Feature Access capability on it. 

3. This will generate a URL to access your feature service from within the Android API.

4. Create an ArcGISFeatureLayer in Android which points to your Feature Service URL. 

5. Edit your data using the Android API

6. Convert your edited Feature Class back to Geodatabase in SDE. 

You use ArcGIS Server Manager to configure your secured services which will allow you access control.
0 Kudos
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
Bit confused on not directly editing...

But I am editing through the Feature Service that is published with Server right?
I dont have to export my data to a FIle GEodatabase then make edits and copy into SDE?

Just confused on number 6....converting back....where and how is this done?

Thanks
0 Kudos
DanO_Neill
Occasional Contributor III
Bit confused on not directly editing...

What I mean is that the API does not support direct connections to an ArcSDE geodatabase. 

But I am editing through the Feature Service that is published with Server right?
I dont have to export my data to a FIle GEodatabase then make edits and copy into SDE?

Just confused on number 6....converting back....where and how is this done?

Yes, the API supports connected editing your geodatabase as a feature service published with ArcGIS Server.  You don't need to do step 6.  I was thinking about a disconnected editing workflow with respect to that step.  I apologize for the confusion.
0 Kudos