ArcGIS Vs Oracle Spatial Support

Jump to solution
09-12-2012 11:23 PM
ManojGarg
New Contributor II
Dear Experts,

I need some good information about the following. Please share the link and your experience
1. Does ESRI ARCMAP/ARcSDE/Server support Oracle Spatial? If yes, then any pros or cons using this?
2. Does versioning supported if oracle spatial is used?
3. Should I use Oracle Spatial with ArcMap/Sde/Server or not?

Thanks
Manoj
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinDunlop
Occasional Contributor III
1. Yes, ESRI supports Oracle Spatial (ESRI 10.1 Help- Oracle Spatial).  I used both of SDO geometry and ESRI datatypes in past jobs and majority of the time you can't tell a difference.
2.Yes.
3. Depends on your needs.  Is there a requirement for SDO geometry and Oracle Spatial for other applications?  Are you using Oracle Spatial elsewhere?  Have you considered using ST_geomerty instead?  Does your SDE and Oracle admin know Oracle Spatial or will you require additional training?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KevinDunlop
Occasional Contributor III
1. Yes, ESRI supports Oracle Spatial (ESRI 10.1 Help- Oracle Spatial).  I used both of SDO geometry and ESRI datatypes in past jobs and majority of the time you can't tell a difference.
2.Yes.
3. Depends on your needs.  Is there a requirement for SDO geometry and Oracle Spatial for other applications?  Are you using Oracle Spatial elsewhere?  Have you considered using ST_geomerty instead?  Does your SDE and Oracle admin know Oracle Spatial or will you require additional training?
0 Kudos