AnsweredAssumed Answered

Uninstall Python 2.7 / Install ArcGIS 10.1 with out Python

Question asked by FedMRLocator on Sep 6, 2012
Latest reply on Oct 11, 2012 by clthompson
Hello,

I am migrating from ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 to 10.1.  Since we never use Python I wanted to find a way to install 10.1 without the new Python 2.7.  Unlike the previous version of Python (v2.5.1) that came preinstalled with 9.3.1 the new Python does not appear to be listed under Programs and Features (Win7) or Add/Remove programs (XP).  The uninstall string for Python 2.7 is not listed in the typical uninstall directory of the registry either.

For example to remove Python 2.5.1 from a VBScript I would use the following command:
WshShell.Run("C:\Python25\UNWISE.EXE /S C:\Python25\INSTALL.LOG",True,0)

My solution for now has been to simply delete the Python 2.7 folder (C:\Python27) when my 10.1 installation script is complete.  While my technique is effective it does leave a lot of shrapnel in the registry.  I cannot help but wonder if there is a more official process for removing this unecessary software from my machines.  The ArcGIS install guide has not been helpful in customizing my installation to my requirements.

ArcGIS Python Requirement:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/install-guides/arcgis-desktop/10.1/index.html#/Python_requirement/008700000007000000/

Ideas or suggestions?

Outcomes