AnsweredAssumed Answered

Engine Application Not Loading Layers from SDE 10.1 Server

Question asked by mtodd22895 on Aug 30, 2012
Latest reply on Sep 4, 2012 by mtodd22895
I have an ArcGIS application that works great when loading layers from SDE 10.0 but fails when trying to load the layers when they're pointing to a SDE 10.1 server.

The only difference is the layer source in the MXD. When the layer points to the SDE 10.0 server, everything loads as expected. If I change the layer source to point to the exact same layer (name, rows, etc.; it was merely copied over from 10.0 to 10.1) in the SDE 10.1 server, a red exclamation point appears next to the layer name.

The SDE 10.1 layers are visible in ArcMap so this shouldn't be a port or instance issue
    This isn't a licensing issue; I have the app set to exit if the license is invalid/unavailable

Is there something special I need to do to get an Engine application to communicate with an SDE 10.1 server?

Is this a service file issue? I tried adding a reference to the service name and port for the new server in the services file but it didn't seem to help, but 10.0 and 10.1 seem to do services/instances a little differently; perhaps I'm missing something.

UPDATE: The more I think about this, the more it seems to be a "direct connect" issue. Is it possible that I'm not connecting to SDE because things aren't set up right on the client? If so, how do I set up direct connect on an ArcGIS Engine client?

Outcomes