Data Store - Register Database - Invalid database connection

08-30-2012 01:10 PM
BrandonCales
New Contributor III
I have everything setup right out of the box pretty much...
-Firewall ports for SQL open
-Local arcgis account on both ArcGIS Server box and ArcSDE/SQL box
-I am able to connect (my login) via Catalog
-SQL is set to OS and DB auth - I prefer OS

When I try to register my database via ArcGIS Server Manager with me logged in (DBO access, Local Admin acces, ...) I get: "Invalid database connection"

I have a ticket open with ESRI, but thought I'd post it here too. What am I missing.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ReginaDaas
New Contributor
I also get Invalid db connection.  I switch my ArcGIS Server account to be a domain account and I created a public login in the the SQL Srv SDE DB with connect properties to the database.  I verified I can log in on my pc with this account, created a spatial connection to the DB.   I get invalid database connection whether I attempt via ArcCatalog on my pc  or the ArcGIS Server Manager on server console.  

I believe I understand the premise of what ESRI is trying to accomplish with Registering all data stores, it was a typcial problem with previous 10 that the SOC couldn't see the data.  It just took the wind out of my sail for this so-far-so-great! install of ArcGIS 10.1

I too put incident in.  reply back with your resolution, I just may go back to local account for ArcGIS Server
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Are you making a direct connection to the geodatabase (as opposed to using an ArcSDE service connection)?  If so, do you have the SQL Server native client installed on the ArcGIS Server machine too?  ArcGIS Server has to be able to connect to the database and, to do that, it needs the DBMS client if you are using direct connections.
0 Kudos
ReginaDaas
New Contributor
yes, installing the 64bit SQL Native client worked.    Forgot I had only 32bit client installed left over from 10.0   Now I'm off trying to figure out when to use OS vs Database Registration.   It looks like it's not a matter of one-time registering the db server with the arcgis sever but rather an issue of mulitple registrations will be needed based on the user of each individual ArcGIS service.
0 Kudos
BrandonCales
New Contributor III
I have it all working now. No changes to my setup outlined before, but I did have an inconsistency with the arcgis password, so I re-ran the 'Configure ArcGIS Server Account' on the server and made sure my passwords were all the same.
0 Kudos