Select to view content in your preferred language

Cut Geometry method causing multipart feature

08-27-2012 11:38 AM
JeffGiesler
Deactivated User
Hey Everyone,
I am trying to use the cut geometry method using the geometry engine. If I cross the feature once with the cutting geometry I get to different features as expected but if I cross the feature twice then I still only get two feature with the one being a multipart feature.  Does anyone know how to fix this or prevent it from happening?  If I am not clear in my explaination let me know and I will draw something to explain it better.
Cheers,
Jeff
0 Kudos
10 Replies
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
Please go through information in geometry operations doc. If this does not answer your question then please explain more.

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
JeffGiesler
Deactivated User
Nimesh,
Unfortunately the documentation doesn't answer my question. I have attached a pdf that shows the results that I am getting and what I would like to get. If the results I want are not possible,thats fine I will just need to limit what the user can do. I hope this make my question more clear.
Cheers,
Jeff
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
The result of cut will always have TWO geometries (right side and left side of cutter geometry). Unfortunately, it is not possible to have THREE geometries you are expecting.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
JeffGiesler
Deactivated User
Nimesh,
This certainly answers my question.  Not the answer I had hoped for.  I guess is there a way to break apart multipart features  then? 
Cheers,
Jeff
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
Unfortunately, there is no tool/operation to convert multipart geometry into multiple single part geometries.

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
As a workaround, you can loop through the rings of the multipart polygon (or paths of a multipart polyline) and create a separate geometry for each part.
0 Kudos
JeffGiesler
Deactivated User
Divesh,
That sounds like a very plausible idea but I seem to be failing in how to find a way to loop through the ring or paths.  do you have any idea how to get them. 
cheers,
Jeff
0 Kudos
ParmeswarGiri
New Contributor
Hey Everyone,
I am trying to use the cut geometry method using the geometry engine. If I cross the feature once with the cutting geometry I get to different features as expected but if I cross the feature twice then I still only get two feature with the one being a multipart feature.  Does anyone know how to fix this or prevent it from happening?  If I am not clear in my explaination let me know and I will draw something to explain it better.
Cheers,
Jeff

Hi jeff,

I am having problem with left geomentry and right geomentry. Please explain me how to define the left geomentry and right geomenty of polyline in topologicalOperator cut method.

Giri
0 Kudos
ParmeswarGiri
New Contributor
Dear all,

Can anyone explain me how to define left geomentry and right geomentry in cut geomentry method.

Thanks

Giri
0 Kudos