Cache status monitor detaching from process

08-01-2012 01:26 PM
MatthewBryant
New Contributor II
I am consistently running into an issue where several hours into a cache generation I am unable to view status.  ArcCatalog reports that 'The generation is not in progress.  0.0% of the tiles are present', yet I can see the SOCs working and see bundle files continuing to be created.  This is a big issue because not only can I not see progress, I also cannot stop or cancel the process.  If I restart the ArcGIS Server Service then the monitor reattaches, shows me an accurate report of the progress but claims that generation is in progress, however no new bundles get created.  The only way to reattach the monitor and also have the cache continue to generate has been to restart the whole server.  Any advice is welcome.  Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jonathangamble
New Contributor III
Subscribing to this thread in hopes of an answer.  I've run into this several times as well.
0 Kudos
GarimaTiwari
Esri Contributor
Matt,

Have you started cache job on more than one service at a time?
Is one of the service generating  cache at a very detailed level of cache tiling scheme?

If so, the SOCs will be busy in generating cache for one of the services which will show �??Tile generation is in progress�?�, while the other service shows �??'Tile generation is not in progress�?�.

If this is not the case and you had submitted cache job for only one service, then due to some unforeseen reason the cache service instances were not able to update the cache Status.gdb.  A restart of the ArcGIS Server Service reattaches itself with the corrupted status.gdb. We would suggest starting cache job on a clean state. Please follow the following steps to reach a clean state before you proceed your next cache job.
1. Stop the caching gp service from ArcGIS Server manager
2. Go to Service cache dir and delete the status.gdb file residing inside the service cache directory.
3. Delete the contents of <serverdir> \directories\arcgisjobs\system\cachingtools_gpserver
4. Start the caching gp service from ArcGIS Server manager
5. Run �??ManageMapServerCacheStatus tool�?� with update mode set to �??REBUILD CACHE STATUS�?�. This will create a new status gdb file reflecting the current state of service cache. Once the tool has run successfully, you can view the cache status correctly.
6. Now submit a cache job to update tiles.
7. It should report the cache status correctly.
8. If not, please contact ESRI support to provide us details on your environment so that we can reproduce the problem in-house and fix it.

Thanks,
Garima
0 Kudos
MatthewBryant
New Contributor II
Garima,

Since your reply I have only run a single cache at a time using one soc.  This does seem to have solved the issue.  My understanding from your reply is that multiple cache generations are attempting to write to the same file geodatabase which could result in a file lock issue.  Do you know if esri has plans to address this?  It is most benificial to be able to generate many caches simultaneously and monitor their progress.

Thanks,

Matt
0 Kudos
GarimaTiwari
Esri Contributor
Matt,

There is no limitation in ArcGIS Server 10.1 due to which one has to run cache job on a single service at a time. I was just inquiring if you were running multiple cache on different services, to gain more understanding on the workflow you had used.

>>Since your reply I have only run a single cache at a time using one soc.
You do not have to limit the cache job to use one SOC at a time. It is recommended to set the caching instances to be n+1 where n is the number of cores on your server machine. Please see the following help topic for details:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Allocation_of_server_resources_to_caching/0154000003...

The above help link also provides details on how one can run two or more simultaneous caching jobs on ArcGIS Server 10.1

Hope this helps.
Garima
0 Kudos