Select to view content in your preferred language

Copy Map Cache from 10.0 to 10.1

Jump to solution
07-30-2012 02:03 PM
AndrewMilanes
Frequent Contributor
I have several map caches on my 10.0 server.  How do I copy / import these caches on my 10.1 server without recreating?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NelsonDe_Miranda
Frequent Contributor
Hey Andrew,

You don't need to do anything with statistics.

Basically just create a new service in 10.1 with the same properties you set in 10.0 (Tiling scheme, tile type, compression if any).
Then just copy and paste your cache to this new directory.

As long as the parameters you set are the same as your 10.0 cache, you should be able to use your cache without having to do any re-caching!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nelson

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
EyadHammad
Deactivated User
if you write click on a service in arccatalog you can export/import caches. this is good if you have interest in certain extents of an existing cache. otherwise, you can manually copy/past cache folder into new server then update statistics.
0 Kudos
AndrewMilanes
Frequent Contributor
How do you update the statistics?
0 Kudos
NelsonDe_Miranda
Frequent Contributor
Hey Andrew,

You don't need to do anything with statistics.

Basically just create a new service in 10.1 with the same properties you set in 10.0 (Tiling scheme, tile type, compression if any).
Then just copy and paste your cache to this new directory.

As long as the parameters you set are the same as your 10.0 cache, you should be able to use your cache without having to do any re-caching!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nelson
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus
How do you update the statistics?

I know this is a pretty old thread, but in case others have the same question. 

Personally, I have had inconsistent issues with the Importing of 10.0 caches into 10.1, but much better luck with copying.  What has worked for me...
   1. create service without a cache
   2. stop service  (this may not need to be done....but doesn't hurt) 
   3. copy 10.0 cache to the 10.1 arcgisserver\directories\arcgiscache
   4. verify the folder name is the same as the new service "foldername_servicename"   (that is if the service is not in root folder)
   5. start up service
   6. right click on service, select Service Properties, verify cache properties....make sure that that "update cache maually"
       is selected  (bottom of screen).....and that "Using times from a cache" is select.  (this may still show
       "Dynamically from the data").  When you apply this, it should create the Status.gdb -- but may still show 0% for all scale levels.
   7. Then, update the status using  the "ManageMapServerCacheStatus"  tool in the Server Tools Toolbox->Caching. 

From what I can tell, this looks thru all the available tiles and actually updates the status.  Be aware, that the "expected tiles" may not equal the "completed tiles", and Percentage may not be 100% if you did not cache the full extent of the service at some scales.

I have used the Manage Map Server Cache Status on (a copy of) the same service that I used the import command on.   It will force the refresh and correct problems on some scales, but on others, some tiles did not fully import.  I repeated this several times  -- even exported to "exploded" and repeated, but getting the same bad results (missing data), so it may be my 10.0 tiles...although they work fine in 10.0.  Unfortunately, I can not recreate them.  But since the copy works, and is much faster, that is now my preferred method.

For additional info on importing the cache, check out Andrew Stauffer's response (#6
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/62320-Caching-in-10.1-produce-inconsistent-results?highlight=10.1+c...
Lots of good info there.
0 Kudos
KevinJohnson
Deactivated User
Just found this...Thanks for posting Becky,  that helped me a lot!   We recently upgraded from 10 to 10.1 and the most I could find on bringing over our caches was when you copy over the cache to make sure the name was the same as the service.   It worked mostly.. the tiles would display in our applications, but you could tell pieces were missing.  previewing in javascript api from the services directory showed a blank map, and running the manage cache tiles tool didn't list out the scale levels. But your sequence of steps help us correct these issues..
0 Kudos