Tabulate Area Error

07-18-2012 03:55 PM
TadLarsen
New Contributor II
Hi all - I'm having an issue with the Tabulate Area process in ArcGIS 10.1 (and 10.0).  I'm using NHDPlus catchments as the zone data and the NLCD land use raster for the classes to be summed.  I keep getting "ERROR 010010: Field not found. Invalid field index obtained." as an error.  Has anyone run into this?  I tried to run it on a small subset of catchments and it worked so I'm not sure if the size of the two datasets (quite large) has anything to do with it...

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Hi all - I'm having an issue with the Tabulate Area process in ArcGIS 10.1 (and 10.0).  I'm using NHDPlus catchments as the zone data and the NLCD land use raster for the classes to be summed.  I keep getting "ERROR 010010: Field not found. Invalid field index obtained." as an error.  Has anyone run into this?  I tried to run it on a small subset of catchments and it worked so I'm not sure if the size of the two datasets (quite large) has anything to do with it...

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

When your raster datasets get large, the VAT COUNT field can sometimes break this tool - as it can only store 32-bit unsigned values (2.1 thousand million is the limit). You may have better luck if you can spatially tile your data.

One thing to try is run this tool with the scratch workspace set to a file geodatabase instead of a folder -- the file geodatabase raster format is less susceptible to this problem.
0 Kudos
PamFroemke
New Contributor
I'm having this same issue when I try to evaluate 7 classes of landcover in 58 watersheds in Colorado.
What is spatially tiling data?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
What is spatially tiling data?

Tiling is processing in smaller extents so the extent you are working with at one time isn't so large.

If the uncompressed raster size of a raster covering your study area at the cell size is less than 2GB, try setting the geoprocessing extent environment to your study area before you run the tabulate area tool so you aren't trying to process a raster bigger than that.
0 Kudos