AnsweredAssumed Answered

Splitting text strings

Question asked by Caleb1987 on Jul 2, 2012
Latest reply on Jul 27, 2012 by Caleb1987
I am working on an addressing project for my county and I am trying to split an address field from parcel data that we have.  I have been using the !Field!.split(" ")[0] function to split them by spaces.  The problem is I want to get street names that have 2 and 3 words to be separate from the N, S, E, and W prefixes and not all of the records in the field have the N or S before the street name so doing it by order of the spaces is not really going to work.  I am wondering if there is any sort of .length() type function to select only one letter parts of a record in a string (the N, S, E, or W) and put it into a field by itself so I know which addresses I need to populate the prefix for?  Or what is the best way to split fields when I have street names like Valley Forge Dr, N Main St, and King Ave?  I need the direction in one field, the street name in another (one and two word street names), and the suffix in the last field. I know to get just the suffix I can use the !Field!.split(" ")[-1], but is it possible to just get the prefix from the records that have one?  If anyone can help please let me know! Thanks!

Caleb
GIS Technician
Cedar County, IA

Outcomes