Stop temporary layers from showing up in TOC during gp script [Python Add-In]

Jump to solution
06-27-2012 01:30 PM
MichaelMarkieta
New Contributor III
I have a script that does a series of calculations, producing temporary data along the way. Temporary data is added to the TOC once calculated in the script and then removed when I call the arcpy.Delete_management function on the data towards the end. Before my script reaches the delete function, the temporary data that I've calculated is shown in the TOC. Is there a way to explicitly specify these datasets as temporary, or freeze the TOC during script processing. Example below:

class StationTypology:      def __init__(self, areaName, bufferDistance):         self.areaName = areaName         self.bufferDistance = bufferDistance      def BusinessDensity(self):         try:             # Make a temporary table in memory based on query of feature class             query = ("""\"AreaName\" = '""" + self.areaName + """' AND                      \"BufferDistance\" = """ + str(self.bufferDistance) + """ AND                      \"UseType\" = 'Business'""")              arcpy.MakeTableView_management("LANDUSE",                                            "business",                                            query)              # Calculate the sum of floor space, from above table             arcpy.Statistics_analysis("business",                                       "in_memory\\businessStatistics",                                       [["FloorArea", "SUM"]])              # Use SearchCursor to access table records and store rows in a variable             rows = arcpy.SearchCursor("in_memory\\businessStatistics",                                       "",                                       "",                                       "SUM_FloorArea",                                       "")              # Table has one row; access with iteration, grab value of SUM_FloorArea             for row in rows:                 businessDensity = row.SUM_FloorArea              del rows  # Housekeeping             arcpy.Delete_management("business")  # Housekeeping             arcpy.Delete_management("in_memory\\businessStatistics")  # Housekeeping              return businessDensity          except:             try:                 del rows  # Housekeeping                 arcpy.Delete_management("business")  # Housekeeping                 arcpy.Delete_management("in_memory\\businessStatistics")  # Housekeeping             except:                 pass

I am running this script from a Python Add-In (ArcGIS 10.1) wxPython GUI. A user will press a button that triggers an event which starts a series of geoprocessing calculations as shown in the example.

Just a note: I have also posted this question to GIS.stackexchange.com
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JasonScheirer
Occasional Contributor III
Set arcpy.env.addOutputsToMap to False at the beginning, then back to True when you're done.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JasonScheirer
Set arcpy.env.addOutputsToMap to False at the beginning, then back to True when you're done.
AaronHigh
New Contributor III
Is the same action possible from an ArcObjects C# AddIn in ArcGIS 10.0 SP4?
0 Kudos
JasonScheirer
0 Kudos
AaronHigh
New Contributor III
Thanks. I actually realized that I was submitting the reply. It hadn't occurred to me that in my add-in all of the intermediate outputs getting added to the ToC were from Geoprocessor objects.
0 Kudos
LucaMoiana
New Contributor

How do you do that??

Thank a lot

Luca
0 Kudos
JasonScheirer
add_to_map = arcpy.env.addOutputsToMap
arcpy.env.addOutputsToMap = False

... Your code ...

arcpy.env.addOutputsToMap = add_to_map
0 Kudos
RuthWarner
New Contributor

This seems to be broken. Setting to false does not stop the output being added to the map.

0 Kudos