flspat

Slow redraw when adding graphics

Discussion created by flspat on Jun 26, 2012
Latest reply on Jul 10, 2012 by kirkwooe
Hi All:

I'm seeing really SLOW redraw/update performance.  I don't have much going in the map: a tiled base map, a few graphics layers.

In one scenario, two polygon graphics located at the map center are added to the first graphic layer.  These update each time the user pans. 
In the other scenario, simple point graphics are added to a second graphics layer where ever the user clicks on the map.

The graphics take quite a long time to draw...almost a full '10 Mississippi'.  I've tried removing the graphics and adding new ones, updating the geometry of the current graphics, etc... nothing seems to make this happen any faster. 

This is for a data collection app and if this is the best performance from the native SDK, it's not going to be suitable for my client. 

When the device is tethered to the computer and I can watch the NSLog output, I see my log "done" statement after the [myGraphicsLayer dataChanged] method.  Then I can can count at least to 5, sometimes 10 before the graphics draw.  Am I doing something wrong?   I'm pretty much following the exact code at the "Adding Graphic Features" section here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/runtime-ios-sdk/concepts/index.html#/Managing_Graphic_features/00pw00000007000000/

This is iOS 5.1 on iPAD 3 using SDK 2.2. 

Thanks for any suggestions

Outcomes