Toolbox output paramter defaults to a dbf when the output is set to text file.

05-04-2012 12:25 PM
GerryGabrisch
Occasional Contributor III
I have a Python script that mines a directory (and sub directories) for mxds and writes the fine names and data paths to a text file.  The script works fine as a stand alone. 
I am trying to attach the tool to a Toolbox tool and notice some odd behavior.  I have the output parameter set to type = Text File in my toolbox tool.  After I fill in the input parameter (a directory) the output path is auto-completed using a .dbf file. Does anyone have any clues on how to fix this so that it defaults to a .csv or a .txt?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I have a Python script that mines a directory (and sub directories) for mxds and writes the fine names and data paths to a text file.  The script works fine as a stand alone. 
I am trying to attach the tool to a Toolbox tool and notice some odd behavior.  I have the output parameter set to type = Text File in my toolbox tool.  After I fill in the input parameter (a directory) the output path is auto-completed using a .dbf file. Does anyone have any clues on how to fix this so that it defaults to a .csv or a .txt?

What's your output parameter Data Type setting in the script tool properties?  By default, if it is "Table", it will default to .dbf for folder workspaces. You probably want to set Data Type to "File". 

You can also control valid file extensions using the Filter property.

Arc 10 Help: Setting script tool parameters
0 Kudos