Extract Values to Points fails

04-19-2012 10:53 PM
KimKnauer
New Contributor
Hello!

I try to extract values by point shapefile from a hyperspectral raster (288 bands) in order to get the full spectrum for the points.

I think "Extract Values to Points" is the right tool but I always get the error message:

ERROR 010303: Incorrect data types.
ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression.
Failed to execute (ExtractValuesToPoints).

First, I used an Envi-File (.dat) then I tried a GeoTIFF as input but it's always the same... I have to mention, that it does not give me an error symbol during the specification of the files as it usually would if you choose a wrong data type.

Thanks in advance!
Kim
0 Kudos
5 Replies
GayathriAlallasundaram
New Contributor III
Please make sure the below steps are followed:

1. Check the attribute table of the point feature and make sure the field names have the correct naming convention for ArcGIS.
http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=23087

2. This tool will record the values by adding a new field named RASTERVALUE. This field cannot already exist in the attribute table of the input features. If it does, an error will occur. If you wish to keep the original information, before performing Extract Values to Points you can add a new field (for example, RASVAL1) to the attribute table, calculate the values to it, and then delete the original RASTERVALUE field.

3. When Extract Values to Points is used on a multiband raster, the RASTERVALU field will contain values from the last band of the input raster. To extract values from multiple rasters or a multiband raster dataset, use the Extract Multi Values To Points tool.

4. When adding the attributes from the input raster, if the output point feature dataset is a shapefile, there can be no fields in the input raster with a name more than 10 characters in length. If there are, these fields must be renamed before running the tool.

Thank You,
Gayu
0 Kudos
KimKnauer
New Contributor
Thank you for the reply!

1. checked
2. checked
3. ok, then I would need the "Extract Multi Values To Points" tool anyway... is it new to ArcGIS 10, cause I cant see it using 9.3?!
4. As far as I know there are no attributes related to the raster, so there should be no fields with more characters.

I used a rather extensive workaround now including Envi ROIs but it would have been nice with just one tool...

Cheers,
Kim
0 Kudos
GayathriAlallasundaram
New Contributor III
"3. ok, then I would need the "Extract Multi Values To Points" tool anyway... is it new to ArcGIS 10, cause I cant see it using 9.3?!"

Yes, the Extract Multi Values to Points tool is new in Version 10 and does not exist in 9.3.

Thank You,
Gayu
0 Kudos
KarinStronkhorst
New Contributor
In ArcMap10.1 you can only save to the Default geodatabase, then it works.  It is as usual a bug in ArcGIS.
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
It is as usual a bug in ArcGIS.

Please log an incident with Esri support so it can be put on the fix list!
0 Kudos