Querying Large Raster is SLOW!!!

04-18-2012 10:03 AM
GaryOstroff
New Contributor
I am running ArcGIS 10 on a new Windows 7 machine.  Generally, my performance is quite good, especially as compared to my old Windows XP machine, but I am having a real problem with 3-D Analyst and Spatial Analyst.

I have a DTM comprising 3-ft cells for all of NYC.  I am looking at a small part of it that I created as a separate file.  I can classify it, use the Raster Calculator on it, Identify it, etc. fairly easily, but when I try to use the shortest path tool, the contour tool, or the interpolate a line (to make a cross section) tool, either in 3-D analyst or off the Catalog Toolbox, it runs FOREVER!  When I do the same operations on a TIN that I created from a selection of points in the raster, it is is done immediately.  Is this just a function of the small cell size???
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Gary

Is it the interactive contour tool on the 3D or Spatial Analyst toolbar that you are saying is slow?

If that is the case, please install Service Pack 4. We changed the interactive tool to rather work on display resolution so it'll be much faster.

Steve
0 Kudos
GaryOstroff
New Contributor
Gary

Is it the interactive contour tool on the 3D or Spatial Analyst toolbar that you are saying is slow?

If that is the case, please install Service Pack 4. We changed the interactive tool to rather work on display resolution so it'll be much faster.
Steve

Installed Service Pack 4, and tried again.  It ran forever.  Then I tried it yet again, and it was fast!?  Several more tries, all fast.
Hope it stays that way!
0 Kudos