jmadero

[SOLVED]Selection Based on % Crossing Layer Border

Discussion created by jmadero on Apr 13, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 13, 2012 by jmadero
Hi All,
First post, thanks in advance. Wasn't positive where to put this thread so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place.

My situation is that I have two polygon layers in my project. Layer A has large polygons while Layer B has much smaller polygons which for the most part are completely contained within individual polygons of Layer A. There are some (<10%) of Layer B polygons that cross over a border of a Layer A polygon. In 99% of these cases the crossover is minuscule and doesn't matter for my purposes. What I need to select are only polygons from Layer B that have at least some % OR some # of acres in two or more polygons from Layer A. If I do a selection just based on crossing over Layer A's border I get all of the ones that the crossover is much too small for me to care about them so I get a huge false positive (in terms of what I need). Because there are 1.2 million polygons in Layer B, even a false positive for 10% of the polygons is too much to manually check.

If I'm not being clear I can rephrase, I appreciate any help as automating this process will make my life a lot easier

Outcomes