Creating Watersheds Based on Stream Order

03-26-2012 04:28 PM
Labels (1)
JohnKerkering1
New Contributor III
Hello,

I have created a river network for a fairly large area (1,014,142.15 km2) using 90-meter SRTM tiles. This river network was not created with ArcHydro tools, but with standard Spatial Analyst Hydrology tools.

The stream order of the derived river network ranges from 1 to 7 (Strahler). I would like to delineate watersheds for each stream for each stream order. That is, I want watersheds for each stream classified as 1, each stream classified as 2, and so on all the way up to 7. Manually creating the pour points for each stream is a rather tedious and time-consuming process. Is there a way to identify unique pour points for each stream?

I would like to avoid identifying one pour point per junction. For example, at the junction of two class 5 rivers I would like to have two points - one identifying the pour point for the first river and the other identifying the pour point of the second, so that two distinct watersheds are created.  Is there a tool or process by which I can create such unique pour points as opposed to doing it manually?

Thanks very much.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnKerkering1
New Contributor III
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
0 Kudos
SteveKopp
Esri Contributor
You can use the StreamLink tool to assign unique values to each of the segments of the stream (junction to junction), and use this as input to the Watershed tool in place of the pour points. Each watershed will then have a unique ID corresponding to the ID of the stream segment.

Steve
0 Kudos