Geocoding Actual Ranges of Addresses

03-15-2012 10:12 AM
JasonGroves
New Contributor
Is it even possible to geocode actual ranges of addresses instead of a single address?

For example, I might have a record like:

Main | St | 8 | 20

This record would indicate that all addresses between 8 Main St and 20 Main St are covered. Ideally the output would be a line segment from the approximation of 8 Main St to the approximation of 20 Main St. Even a set of points from 8 to 20 Main St would be helpful.

Is there any way to do that? I've hundreds of records and some of the ranges are hundreds of "addresses" long.

Thanks for the consideration.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BenjaminBauman
Occasional Contributor
I've never heard of geocoding address ranges, but my workaround solution would be to assign an ID to each address, split each address into two seperate tables based on the range delimiters and then do two geocode runs. Afterwards, join the output tables based on the common ID, and use the XY to line tool to create ranges for each address.
0 Kudos
JasonGroves
New Contributor
I've never heard of geocoding address ranges, but my workaround solution would be to assign an ID to each address, split each address into two seperate tables based on the range delimiters and then do two geocode runs. Afterwards, join the output tables based on the common ID, and use the XY to line tool to create ranges for each address.

I like this idea. I was sort of afraid there wouldn't be a direct way to do this, but this workaround is fairly straight forward. I'll let you know if it works out.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, that really only works for straight lines.  Roads with any curve will not be covered here. Hrmph.
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Jason

I'm on the geocoding team here in Redlands, can you tell me what sort of work you're doing here that requires this sort of path-finding geocoding?
If it is a reasonably common workflow we'll consider it for a future release.

Probably best to email me at bharold@esri.com.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MōnoSimeone
Occasional Contributor II
Hello All -

I have a similar issue. I need to geocode from a table that uses a range of addresses for each record: Main | St | Odd | 3901 | 3999

Ideally, I'd like a single point (centroid of street segment with offset for odd/even side) that represents the range.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
M.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Hello All -

I have a similar issue. I need to geocode from a table that uses a range of addresses for each record: Main | St | Odd | 3901 | 3999

Ideally, I'd like a single point (centroid of street segment with offset for odd/even side) that represents the range.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
M.

Quick and dirty:  add the low and high, divide by 2:  your example gets an address of 3950 Main St.  You might have to fiddle around a little to get even and odd, but if all you want is one location....

Hope this helps-
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos