Spatial database connection failed for new users as database readers

03-09-2012 06:31 AM
KenMarshall1
New Contributor III
Hello,

I'm running Arcserver SDE and SQL server 2008 R2 standard. I have my databases setup and can connect using "sde", "sa" and myself using operating system authentication. Of course all three are owners of the databases.

I go to set up another user just like I did with myself but as a database reader not owner and can't connect and get the error "Failed to connect to the specified server operation failed. But, when I change the new user to database owner he can connect just fine.

Also, when we try to connect the user as a database reader we can see under the SQL server Logs we can see "Login succeeded for user domain\user Connection made using Windows Authentication" But, we get the error "Failed to connect to the specified server operation failed" in the spatial database connection window "test connection"

Things I have tried consist of granting the users privileges using the Change Privieges tool and under the verision manger added the user which not sure if this even matters at the station cause were just try to get connection to the SDE/geodatabase

Any help would be great just to get pasted the connect error to the database

Thanks
Ken
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor
You will need to first go through and ensure that you have added the Login to the database instance and mapped this to a user in the database. See the following help topic on this for SQL Server:

Adding database-authenticated logins to a SQL Server database
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_dotnet_help/index.html#//002q0000002m...

If you are sure that all the permissions are in place correct per the help documentation it could be something with the base public role in the SQL Server database being modified as well. This is usually the cause of issues for non-admin users having issues connecting or viewing data when other users can with no issues.
0 Kudos