Select to view content in your preferred language

Configure pop-up for individual features?

03-08-2012 11:45 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I've been experimenting with editing pop-up boxes and am having an issue with images. In my point shapefile in ArcGIS, I have created a field called "Photo1" and a field named "URL". Each point will have a unique picture associated with it, which is linked within the attribute table. For example, in the attribute table (under Photo1) for Point A, I have a web address pointed to Picture A that shows what Point A is, then a web address to Picture B for Point B, and so on. I also have a website link for each point in the "URL" field, which will create a hyperlink in the pop-up (this is working fine).

However, I'm having trouble understanding how the image in a pop-up works in ArcGIS Online. Whether in map view or Explorer Online, I can configure pop-ups and go to Pop-Up Media to insert images, charts, etc. that have a web address. How do I tie each unique image to a unique point so when a user clicks Point A, Picture A shows up in that pop-up, and when they click on Point B, Picture B shows up in that pop-up, and so on?

From what I have done so far, the Pop-Up Media affects EVERY pop-up for all points. So everytime I click on a point in the webmap, all the images show up as a "slideshow" type thing within the pop-up. How do I separate these items out for each pop-up? Can I do this within the web map or is this something I need to do from within GIS Desktop?

Right now each image's web link within the attribute table shows up as a "more info" hyperlink in the pop-up box, which when clicked loads a full-size Picture A or Picture B. But I want those images to come up within the pop-up, and when I try to do that, all the images show up.

Am I doing this all wrong?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
When you add an image as the popup media, use the field name surrounded by curly braces to populate the URL property, like this.

{Photo1}

There is also a "+" button next to the input field that will list all of your fields and insert it. You can also have multiple fields that define the URL. For example, suppose I have one field that has an image name, "some.png" and another field that contains the base url to the image, "http://mserver.com/images/". You can concatenate the two fields like this.

{BaseURL}{ImageName}

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
When you add an image as the popup media, use the field name surrounded by curly braces to populate the URL property, like this.

{Photo1}

There is also a "+" button next to the input field that will list all of your fields and insert it. You can also have multiple fields that define the URL. For example, suppose I have one field that has an image name, "some.png" and another field that contains the base url to the image, "http://mserver.com/images/". You can concatenate the two fields like this.

{BaseURL}{ImageName}

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'll give that a try and see if it does what I want.

Update: That's doing what I need, thanks again Mike. The images took about 10 seconds to load in each popup, but I shrunk them down and re-uploaded to our webserver and the pop-ups load much faster now.
0 Kudos
CarolineVallieres
New Contributor II
Hello, I managed to concatenate the fields however, I get an X instead of the image. Is there a way to fix this?
Thanks!
Caroline
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes, if you want unique images for each feature, you need something on the feature that determines its uniqueness...adding a field, or using an existing field is the only way.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos