dpmarley

REST API - View in "ArcGIS JavaScript" link not working (Reverse Proxy)

Discussion created by dpmarley on Feb 7, 2012
Latest reply on Sep 12, 2012 by dpmarley
We have a test/development ArcGIS Server 10 instance, configured for Internet access using a standard reverse proxy configuration (Server 2003 / IIS 6 / Apache HTTP and mod_proxy - configured per Esri guidelines).  Most of the REST API is working fine from the Internet side.  I can generate map images, consume services in Flex and Silverlight..many other things.  The things that are not working are the View in ArcGIS JavaScript and ArcGIS.com Map links from the MapServer pages.  I have updated rest.config with the appropriate external urls (SoapUrl and the others, as noted here and here) and am able to View in ArcMap using that link.

After clicking View in ArcGIS JavaScript for a service, I look at the response in Firebug and can see that the url the JavaScript API is using does not have the port (8080) appended after the dns name in the Url.  So the Javascript code in the response looks like this (note no :8080):

var layer = new esri.layers.ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer("http://www.<my-domain-name>.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/<folder>/<service>/MapServer");
but should be this (note the :8080 after the domain name):

var layer = new esri.layers.ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer("http://www.<my-domain-name>.com:8080/ArcGIS/rest/services/<folder>/<service>/MapServer");

If I copy/paste the response HTML into a new htm page and add the :8080 myself, it works perfectly.

Also as noted above, the "View in ArcMap" link works fine externally as do most other aspects of the REST API, so the map service Urls and rest.config appear to all be configured properly.

So any ideas why the :8080 is getting dropped?  I assume this is a REST configuration issue.  Does the ReverseProxyPort tag in rest.config have anything to do with this?  I can't find any documentation on what that tag is suppose to do.  I tried changing it to 8080 but that brought my whole site down, so that (alone) clearly is not the solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

The server in question is running ArcGIS Server 10 SP 2.

Outcomes