lcress-esristaff

WPF proxy authentication

Discussion created by lcress-esristaff Employee on Jan 24, 2012
Latest reply on Jun 11, 2015 by johnmdye
Google tells me that I'm not the only one facing this problem: we are building a WPF application using the Esri WPF API, but in order to consume REST services we have to go through a proxy.  That would be fine, except that the proxy requires authentication.  All of the WebClient libraries support the Proxy object, which in turn supports a Credentials object.  The Esri API classes, though, only offer me a "ProxyURL" string, and a separate Credentials object, which doesn't appear to do anything for the proxy; I wouldn't expect it to.  That object seems to be for providing creds to the REST endpoint in a secured ArcGIS Server setting.

"ProxyURL" is obviously for supporting a "proxy page", which is not applicable for our situation - that's not what we're doing.  We'd just like to consume simple, insecure maps and services, like ArcGIS Online, through a forward web proxy.

One workaround that we've found is to build - in the application itself - our own tiny webserver/proxy that uses WebClient to pass http requests through to the company proxy.  That seems very kludgy, though. How can we get through the proxy without writing our own WebClient-based proxy into our application?

Outcomes