Random application/device lockups

01-12-2012 03:49 AM
JozefKaslikowski
New Contributor
I have upgraded my code to the release SDK and I am now experiencing some complete device lockups at seemingly random times. Not only will the application become unresponsive, but the android OS does as well. The only available option is to power down the device and restart. Has anyone else seen this? If it helps, I am using a cached map offline.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
SaurabhGupta
New Contributor II
Hi,

Can you try to reproduce the issue with this sample :
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobile/10.0/apis/android/help/#/Local_TIle_Layer_Sample/011900000028...

What kind of device are you using ? How often does the lockout happens ?
0 Kudos
JozefKaslikowski
New Contributor
I have tried for the past several hours to crash the app with the sample and my actual cache. I cannot reproduce with this configuration. That basically leaves the LocationService, and two GraphicsLayer instances that I need to rule out in some way.

I am using an Asus Transformer TF101. Android version 3.2.1

The crash occurs at random points but usually within a half hour. It seems to happen with just a touch to the screen but of course that is very misleading since it could be attempting to redraw after a very tiny pan or zoom or it is already locked up when I touch it. I haven't been able to narrow it down to a specific operation though. I am currently leaning toward the GPS/LocationService just because of the randomness. I get nothing in the Eclipse LogCat when it happens either unfortunately.
0 Kudos
SaurabhGupta
New Contributor II
Well you can try this sample to see if GPS causes the crash.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobile/10.0/apis/android/help/#/Location_Service_Nearby_Sample/01190...

If the samples work fine then mostly likely it is specific to your code/workflow from beta.
0 Kudos
JozefKaslikowski
New Contributor
I am still trying to track this down and have added tons of logging to that end with little help. I have noticed that after it crashes, the pan and zoom events are still called but the map just flickers without redrawing. While that doesnt rule out the GPS, I am no longer considering it as a prime suspect.
0 Kudos
JozefKaslikowski
New Contributor
I have gotten a crash with the debugger attached this time. I am getting OpenGL errors now.

03-05 12:10:12.620: E/GLMapCore(2431): GraphicBuffer: OpenGL Error 505 after glBindBuffer
03-05 12:10:12.620: E/GLMapCore(2431): GraphicBuffer: OpenGL Error 505 after glBindBuffer0_unbindVbo

Any idea what these errors mean? The internet is of no help.
0 Kudos
SimonKlein
Occasional Contributor
I'm getting the same error sometimes.
It only happens under the following conditions:

[the used map has many graphics attached to it]
    [after zooming to the location provided from the locationservice everything is still fine]
    [then the features for this scale level get loaded. from what i can see they all are loaded fine]
    [and then without pressing or touching anything the logcat is flooded with these
    03-05 12:10:12.620: E/GLMapCore(2431): GraphicBuffer: OpenGL Error 505 after glBindBuffer
    03-05 12:10:12.620: E/GLMapCore(2431): GraphicBuffer: OpenGL Error 505 after glBindBuffer0_unbindVbo

i can report the same behaviour as jozefk.
the map flickers and does not redraw.

my guess would be that there are too many graphcis from the featurelayers for the mapview to handle. on the other hand it only happens sometimes for me so unfortnantly it isn't really repuduceable.
i'm using a galaxy tab 10.1n.

The project was freshly created from the start without using anything from the old SDK.
0 Kudos