json size limit

12-12-2011 05:52 AM
SebastiánVázquez
New Contributor II
Hello

Let me explain my question. I've developed a REST service, which is running on top of an IIS 7.5. This service admits 3 parameters in the request. One of them is a JSON. I've also developed a client application that uses that service through POST request. In certain cases, I need to send a huge json. 

At this moment, the size of the json that can be sent is limited by the MaxRequestLength key, located at the rest.xml config file. MaxRequestLength is limited to 2097151 bytes.

Then, my question is this: How can I go beyond? I need to send much bigger jsons than this, and I can't figure out how. I've been searching in these forums, as well as developer's help, and I couldn't find any answer.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
This is a pure IIS question.  You probably have better odds of getting an answer in the Microsoft forums.

If 2 GB is not enough then I think that using REST may be the wrong answer.  In additional, I am doubtful that JSON is very efficient at transfering huge amounts of data.
0 Kudos
SebastiánVázquez
New Contributor II
Thank you very much, Richard.

First of all, I have to say that I don't know much about IIS. I've also dug into IIS forums...totally out of luck. I thought someone else might have had the same problem. I was wrong when I wrote 2097151 Bytes. The limit is measured in Kb.

There might be a workaround. I guess so.

I would appreciate any idea, link...

Sebastian
0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor
The knowledgebase article below may relate to the issue you are encountering. Give it a read:

http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/35971
0 Kudos
SebastiánVázquez
New Contributor II
it is very kind of you, Scott.

the article is very clear and helpfull. Nevertheless, I don't know if it will do the job since my environment is AGS 10 + IIS 7.5. I will give it a try and I will tell you then.

Thank you.
0 Kudos