scripting for Geostatistical Wizard "Optimize power value"

11-10-2011 05:23 AM
StevenDrake
New Contributor II
I'm trying to use a Python script for a daily IDW Interpolation of the same area. The "Optimize power value" is entered manually in the wizard but does not appear to have a setting for scripting. Is there a means to do this with scripting? Or is this something better handled using a 'template' (which I'm not familiar with)?

Thank You,

Steven
0 Kudos
3 Replies
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor
The optimize power is finding the power value that results in the lowest root-mean-square.  You can emulate this by iterating through the power value in your script.  With each iteration, use the Cross Validation tool to find the RMS, and see which value results in the lowest RMS.
0 Kudos
Johannameyer
New Contributor
Is there a way to identify which 6 points were used to derive a single cell value in the IDW and take an average?  I am looking to do a square of  distance average over distance  (Da/D)2 for a point set.
Is this better done with Distance tool? Or can I just run an IDW on the geometry field?

Johanna
0 Kudos
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor
Use the Neighborhood Selection tool, and give it the same searching neighborhood parameters you used in the IDW model, and use the point feature class you used in IDW for the input points.  For the x and y coordinates, use the center of the raster cell.  This will make a layer of the points that were used as neighbors for that cell.

If you're just wanting to do IDW with inverse distance squared as the weight, this is what IDW does by default.
0 Kudos