Cluster Analysis on Multivariate Raster Dataset - R script errors

11-02-2011 07:10 AM
BrennanSmith
New Contributor
Hello all!

I have a raster with 5 bands of data and I would like to perform a cluster analysis to group them.  I've tried the R script referenced in this thread but it consistently returns the following error:

<class 'arcgisscripting.ExecuteError'>: Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.
ERROR 000732: Input Dataset or Feature Class: Dataset C:\Output.shp does not exist or is not supported
Failed to execute (DefineProjection).
Failed to execute (PointClusteringR).

I have tried several different output directories and file names - I do not understand why it keeps throwing this error code.  Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Alternatively, are there any other good tools for performing cluster analysis on a large, multiband raster dataset?  Thank you!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JeffreyEvans
Occasional Contributor III
You are passing the incorrect type of data to the R script. It is intended for vector feature classes and not rasters. I believe that the ESRI script is specifically intended for point feature classes. If you want to stick to ArcMap you can try IsoCluster. However since the algorithm is based on means, if your data is non-normal you will not get a very good cluster solution and you may need to apply a data transformation to your rasters (i.e., natural log) before running IsoCluster.
0 Kudos