Bradberry

cast a where statement

Discussion created by Bradberry on Sep 9, 2011
Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 by Bradberry
Hey,

I am using the make feature layer command with a user defined feature class and field.  The where statement is created with the field and value that the user defines.  The problem is that the field is sometimes a number and sometimes a text value.  So the quotes (or lack of them) in the where statement will crash the make feature layer command. 

I tried to use the cast or convert commands to convert the field to a string field so the where command will always have the same type of quotes.  I am not able to get the convert or cast to work.  Here are some samples of what I tried:
                        //string whereClause = "Cast(\"" + fieldname + "\" AS varchar) = '" + fieldval + "'";
                        //string whereClause = "\"Cast(" + fieldname + " AS varchar)\" = '" + fieldval + "'";
                        //string whereClause = "\"" + fieldname + "\" = '" + fieldval + "'";
                        //string whereClause = "\"Convert(varchar(500), '" + fieldname + "')\" = '" + fieldval + "'";
                        //string whereClause = "\"Convert(varchar, '" + fieldname + "')\" = '" + fieldval + "'";
                        //string whereClause = "Convert(varchar, \"" + fieldname + "\") = '" + fieldval + "'";
                        string whereClause = "Convert(varchar, " + fieldname + ") = '" + fieldval + "'";

Does anybody know how to use the convert or cast command, or a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks, Chris

Outcomes