Select to view content in your preferred language

stop map 'pixelation' / fast map zoom

09-09-2011 05:50 AM
LukePhilips
Deactivated User
Is there a way to stop the 'pixelation' I see with tiled services when zooming in/out and the map keeps the old tiles until the new tiles load?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
We have to keep the old tiles around while new tiles loading otherwise it's going to look bad. You should enable the drawDuringPanning and drawDuringZooming properties of AGSLayerView to get better result.

AGSTiledMapServiceLayer *tiledLayer = [[[AGSTiledMapServiceLayer alloc]initWithURL:[NSURL URLWithString:kTiledMapServiceURL]]autorelease];
 UIView<AGSLayerView> *layerView = [self.mapView addMapLayer:self.tiledLayer withName:@"Tiled Layer"];
 layerView.drawDuringPanning =  TRUE;
 layerView.drawDuringZooming = TRUE;

These properties are true for base layer by default.

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
LukePhilips
Deactivated User
I've seen that before and I've set that up. However tiled services still seem kind of slow, I know a lot of that has to do with my Internet connection. Is it possible to remember the tiles that have been downloaded instead of the constant refresh I see?
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
Luke,

Some amount of tiles are being remembered for the tiled layer but not a lot. Also, developer does not have control over that.

You may like to use custom tiled layer.

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
LukePhilips
Deactivated User
That kind of helps, but it would be nice if the 'cache' of tiles would cache more, seems like it hardly caches any tiles regardless if they are mine or ArcGIS Online. Likewise, I don't have access to the ArcGIS Online tiles for use with the custom tiled layer.
0 Kudos