Creating raster out of points

08-17-2011 12:01 AM
JoostBrama
New Contributor
Hello,

I'm quite a newbee in this forum, but I hope someone can help me with my (I think) little problem.

I'm trying to convert a point feature class to a raster.
The point feature class contains 13 points with different values in the attribute table.

When I use the Point to Raster tool (with value field), I just create one cell block on the place of the point (it looks like there are 13 cell blocks in the Raster).
Now a cell contains the value of the point attribute, but the cell next to that one has a value of 0. That's not what I want, I want it to slowly become less.
For example, the point has a value of 200. After the point to raster tool, the cell in the raster has got a value of 200. A cell next to this one has a value of 0, but I want this value to be (for example) 195.
How can i do that?

I hope someone can help me.
(I use ArcGIS 9.3 with the Spatial Analyst & Data Interoperability Extensions)

Joost
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
What you are looking to do sounds like interpolation.  I would recommend taking a look at the different interpolation tools, which will fill in the gaps between the points.  Or perhaps the point density tool will work, depending on your analysis.
0 Kudos
JoostBrama
New Contributor
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.
Next problem is how I get a larger extent then just the 4 points with the largest and lowest X & Y.
Can I put in a border or something?
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
All tools in Arctoolbox have the often-overlooked "Environments" tab, this is where you should be setting cell size, analysis extents etc etc. prior to clicking any OK button
0 Kudos
JoostBrama
New Contributor
Dan & Jeff,

I've worked it out. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos