what kind of a license displaying a map in a WPF application need??

08-13-2011 11:38 PM
Labels (1)
ZarehDemirdjian
New Contributor III
Dear All,

I have a desktop application based on WPF, and i need to display a map in my application and to add a point on the map in a operational layer..
I know that i need the ArcGIS API for WPF, but what else do i need? do need an ArcEngine license for the map display ?? do i need an ArcEditor license for adding a point ??
To be clear i want all this to be done in my application --> i am not going to open an ArcMap or something i just want everything in my application so thats why i am confused if i need any of the licenses mentioned above or no..

I appreciate your help,

Zareh
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I think that WPF is like Silverlight in that you just need an ArcGIS Server license (Standard or Advanced).  The web clients are free so long as you buy server.
0 Kudos
ZarehDemirdjian
New Contributor III
I think that WPF is like Silverlight in that you just need an ArcGIS Server license (Standard or Advanced).  The web clients are free so long as you buy server.

Well, yeah but i need a desktop application, so i dont think im gona need an ArcGIS Server, what i was thinking of is to get an ArcGIS Engine license with runtime (number of runtime = number of users)..

but i want to make sure that per exemple if the ArcGIS Engine has a network analyst extension, does all the runtime have this extension or we should get an extension of the network analyst for each runtime ??,,,
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I think that the ArcGIS API for WPF is for consuming ArcGIS Server services.  Starting in 10.1 I think that the ArcGIS Runtime will provide this capability with or without server.  If I have this wrong then I'd appreciate it if someone would correct me.

Certainly you can use Microsoft WPF without this API in Desktop or Engine based applications.

http://www.esri.com/library/brochures/pdfs/arcgis-networkanalyst.pdf

Network-based spatial analysis is available for ArcGIS Desktop
(ArcView®, ArcEditor�?�, or ArcInfo®), ArcGIS Engine, and ArcGIS
Server.

http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/extensions/networkanalyst/what-you-get.html

ArcGIS Network Analyst is available as a single use or concurrent use license.
0 Kudos
MarkCollins
Occasional Contributor
Dear All,

I have a desktop application based on WPF, and i need to display a map in my application and to add a point on the map in a operational layer..
I know that i need the ArcGIS API for WPF, but what else do i need? do need an ArcEngine license for the map display ?? do i need an ArcEditor license for adding a point ??
To be clear i want all this to be done in my application --> i am not going to open an ArcMap or something i just want everything in my application so thats why i am confused if i need any of the licenses mentioned above or no..

I appreciate your help,

Zareh

I'm pretty sure the WPF SDK is free to use in your applications. So there will be no client license fee for using it. But.. You typically store all your GIS data in Arc Server and access it via the web services with your client app.  You can use the Arc Online web services to avoid requiring a full blown Arc Server install and store your "point" data some other way. (Disclaimer: I dont work for ESRI so talk this info with a grain of salt)
0 Kudos