Data Driven Pages - Hyperlinked Locator Map

07-20-2011 06:34 AM
KevinTopping
New Contributor
Hi,

I have a set of data driven pages (70) that all include a locator data frame. This is done by splitting the area up into a grid format and numbering them (A1, A2, B1 etc).

when exported to PDF, the locator data frame will highlight which grid number number you are currently viewing.

All this works great but what I want to do is add a bit more functionality so that the end user is able to use the locator frame as a sort of bookmark tool. They can click on the grid they want to see and be taken to the relevant PDF page.

Is this possible within Arc 10? I cant see anything on it but surely its been done with an overview page or something like that?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Kev
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
This is not out of the box functionality.  This could be customized, the way you describe using ArcObjects.  At 10.1 there will be a way to do this with Python Addins.

At 10.0 you could create a script tool that lists the unique page names/numbers, your user could select the value and via arcpy.mapping you could update the layout based on the page selected.

There are some sample scripts that do similar things in Resource Center.

Jeff
0 Kudos
MarkEllis
New Contributor II
If you have Adobe Acrobat, add a link to the pdf output to open the new maps.  Far from automated, but gets the task done.
0 Kudos