Select to view content in your preferred language

Failure to execute GWR (Error 999998: Unexpected error)

07-18-2011 03:24 AM
GeorgeChaka
Emerging Contributor
Dear Lauren Rosenshein,

I recently downloaded the ArcGIS 9.3 version of the Regression tutorial (Analyzing 911 response using Regression) from the blogs website. All the tutorial steps work well except the last step (Step 8: GWR Predictions). The model fails to run and I get an error "Error 999998: Unexpected Error. Failed to to execute GWR".

I checked for solutions. Nathan Wood wrote about a similar problem on this forum on 02-28-2011. The next day he wrote that he had sorted out the problem by shortening the field names of the coefficients. I have tried providing shorter names than those provided in the tutorial but that does not solve the problem. Although ArcGIS Desktop Help says this is an operating system error,  I am wondering if you or anyone else at ESRI could provide a solution for this problem considering that the tutorial is was provided by ESRI. Am using ArcGIS 9.3 on Windows 7 Professional operating system.

I thank you very much for the informative tutorials and videos that you post on the blogs website.

George Chaka
Lilongwe, Malawi
0 Kudos
1 Reply
LaurenRosenshein
Regular Contributor
Hi George,

I'm very sorry that you're having trouble running through the tutorial!  We've runt through those tutorials quite a few times, and have not been able to reproduce your error, so what we have to do is try to figure out what's different about your machine/system that is causing problems.  Can you please let us know about any regional settings that might be different or any other unique system settings that we might be able to set on our own machines to try and reproduce the problem.  That would be very helpful for us.  We absolutely want to help you be successful running through the tutorials, so we will do our very best to get this figured out!

Once again, I'm very sorry you're having trouble! (But I'm very glad that you've found our resources useful!)  🙂

Lauren Rosenshein
Geoprocessing Product Engineer
0 Kudos