Configuration File for a Python Script

07-09-2011 05:45 PM
JacobCoble
New Contributor
I have some Python geoprocessing scripts I would like to share with several people. A problem is, for example, each person would use a different path as to where they read/write data. I could give the same scripts to each person, only customize the scripts with whatever paths the people are using. But that is cumbersome. I was wondering if I could make a configuration file for these Python scripts and the customizations would only be in this one config file. Back in the .AML days, I could make an .aml called, say, SetVars.aml that would contain all the variables and I could make a geoprocessing .aml read SetVars.aml. That way I could install my geoprocessing .amls on different computers and I would only have to customize the SetVars.aml rather than having to customize every script. Or if I had to change some paths, these paths would be defined as variables in one nice, neat file rather than scattered among several scripts. I want to do something similar to this in the ArcGIS Python world. I don't want these variables to be parameters the user would have to choose - I would just like to have certain variables in a convenient script that the other Python scripts could read, if that is possible. If anyone could point me to an example of this I would appreciate it.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TerrySilveus
Occasional Contributor III
I have some Python geoprocessing scripts I would like to share with several people. A problem is, for example, each person would use a different path as to where they read/write data. I could give the same scripts to each person, only customize the scripts with whatever paths the people are using. But that is cumbersome. I was wondering if I could make a configuration file for these Python scripts and the customizations would only be in this one config file. Back in the .AML days, I could make an .aml called, say, SetVars.aml that would contain all the variables and I could make a geoprocessing .aml read SetVars.aml. That way I could install my geoprocessing .amls on different computers and I would only have to customize the SetVars.aml rather than having to customize every script. Or if I had to change some paths, these paths would be defined as variables in one nice, neat file rather than scattered among several scripts. I want to do something similar to this in the ArcGIS Python world. I don't want these variables to be parameters the user would have to choose - I would just like to have certain variables in a convenient script that the other Python scripts could read, if that is possible. If anyone could point me to an example of this I would appreciate it.

you can read in any text file (like a *.ini) and use the contents to set up your environment path.  Set up arcMapConfig.ini as a basic text file with specific strings in it that your python script searches for and then uses whatever text follows on the same line.  something like this
DATASOURCE=c:\myuniquepath\
have python read in a line, check for DATASOURCE= and then use the contents that follows the = sign.  alternatively you could split at the = check the first element of the array for DATASOURCE then use the second element of the array if the first matches your specific control character string.
0 Kudos
StacyRendall1
Jacob,

tlsilveus' method will work just fine, but you can also store information directly in python modules, use an import statement to load them, and request the data (optionally with an input)... The main advantages are:

1. things can be stored directly in Python structures (such as dictionaries or lists)

2. things can be more dynamic (i.e. take an input, and vary the output depending on the input), and

3. it can be incorporated within one of your scripts - so there would be no extra files (this gets a little more complicated, though, but let me know if you want more info...).

'''defaultData.py
'''
def storesData(name):
  '''returns output file path for the queried person
  '''
  if name == 'Catherine':
    return 'D:\\Catherine\\GIS_output\\'
  if name == 'James':
    return 'C:\\Temp\\GIS\\output\\'
  else:
    return 'C:\\Temporary\\'

def programSettings():
  '''returns default settings in a python list:
  e.g. [arg1, arg2, overwriteFiles, dataPath, outputTxtPath]
  '''
  return [0,1,True,'X:\\GIS\\Data','output.txt']

This file would just sit in the same folder as the other scripts, and would be used like so:

'''genericOperationScript.py
Loads default file paths for user, default settings, and does some geoprocessing.
'''
import defaultData # imports the python file above so you can call it
import arcpy

# get defaults - this method looks complicated, but is handy for getting all the vairables out in one place...
arg1, arg2, overwriteFiles, dataPath, outputTxtPath = defaultData.programSettings()

arcpy.AddMessage('Program defaults loaded...')

arcpy.AddMessage('  Using data path: '+dataPath)

outputPath = defaultData.storesData('Catherine') # get the path for this user...

arcpy.AddMessage('  Using output path: '+outputPath )

if overwriteFiles:
  arcpy.AddMessage('  Existing files will be overwritten..')
else:
  arcpy.AddMessage('  Existing files will not be overwritten..')

# do geoprocessing...

Feel free to ask away if you have any questions on this method!
0 Kudos
TerrySilveus
Jacob,

tlsilveus' method will work just fine, but you can also store information directly in python modules, use an import statement to load them, and request the data (optionally with an input)... The main advantages are:

1. things can be stored directly in Python structures (such as dictionaries or lists)

2. things can be more dynamic (i.e. take an input, and vary the output depending on the input), and

3. it can be incorporated within one of your scripts - so there would be no extra files (this gets a little more complicated, though...).

I didn't even think of doing it this way (but I don't have a lot of experience with python)... good call.  I like it.
0 Kudos
ChristopherFricke1
New Contributor
I highly recommend checking out http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/configobj.html
A config file looks like:
# This is the 'initial_comment'
# Which may be several lines
keyword1 = value1
'keyword 2' = 'value 2'

[ "section 1" ]
# This comment goes with keyword 3
keyword 3 = value 3
'keyword 4' = value4, value 5, 'value 6'

[[ sub-section ]]    # an inline comment
    # sub-section is inside "section 1"
    'keyword 5' = 'value 7'