ArcGIS 10: Add-In (add Button to Menu 'File')

04-20-2011 12:14 AM
georgandersson
New Contributor II
Hi folks

i need to add some functionality to ArcMap's File-Menu. I'm using the code listet below to create the add-in and adding the button to the menu... well, clicking the menu 'file' causes ArcMap to crash. So obviously, there has to be an error.

any ideas?

esriaddinx:
<AddIn language="CLR" library="GeoServerData.dll" namespace="GeoServerData">
    <ArcMap>
      <Commands>
        <Button id="Stadt_Zürich_uidsample_Button1" class="Button1" message="Add-in command generated by Visual Studio project wizard." caption="My Button" tip="Add-in command tooltip." category="Add-In Controls" image="Images\Button1.png" />
      </Commands>
      <Extensions>
        <Extension id="Stadt_Zürich_uidsample_Extension1" class="Extension1" productName="UIDSample" showInExtensionDialog="true" autoLoad="true" />
      </Extensions>
    </ArcMap>
  </AddIn>

class Extension (inherits from ESRI.ArcGIS.Desktop.AddIns.Extension)
Protected Overrides Function OnSetState(ByVal state As ESRI.ArcGIS.Desktop.AddIns.ExtensionState) As Boolean
        If state = esriExtensionState.esriESEnabled Then
            ' Add OnNewDocument event handler.
            m_dNewDocEvent = New ESRI.ArcGIS.ArcMapUI.IDocumentEvents_NewDocumentEventHandler(AddressOf AddCommandToMenu)
            AddHandler CType(m_MxDoc, ESRI.ArcGIS.ArcMapUI.IDocumentEvents_Event).NewDocument, m_dNewDocEvent

' Add OnOpenDocument event handler.
            m_dOpenDocEvent = New ESRI.ArcGIS.ArcMapUI.IDocumentEvents_OpenDocumentEventHandler(AddressOf AddCommandToMenu)
            AddHandler CType(m_MxDoc, ESRI.ArcGIS.ArcMapUI.IDocumentEvents_Event).OpenDocument, m_dOpenDocEvent
        End If
        Return MyBase.OnSetState(state)
    End Function

Public Sub AddCommandToMenu()
        Try
            Dim pUID As New UID With {.Value = "{56599DD3-E464-11D1-9496-080009EEBECB}"}
            Dim pCmdItem As ICommandBar
            pCmdItem = application.Document.CommandBars.Find(pUID)

Dim btnuid As New UID With {.Value = My.ThisAddIn.IDs.Button1}
            pCmdItem.Add(btnuid,0)
        Catch ex As Exception
            MsgBox(ex.Message)
        End Try
    End Sub

class Button1:
Public Sub New()
        application = CType(Hook, IApplication)
    End Sub

Protected Overrides Sub OnClick()
        MsgBox("HALLO!")
    End Sub

any help will be greatly appreciated!

best regards
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JohnHauck
Occasional Contributor II
Please try with the attached. I don't see any issues with this type of workflow. Seems like the confusion could be with this:

class Button1:
Public Sub New()
application = CType(Hook, IApplication)
End Sub

Protected Overrides Sub OnClick()
MsgBox("HALLO!")
End Sub

With AddIns you have access to a static class that you can get the application or document reference from rather than working with the hook.

VB example: My.ArcMap.Application

C# example: ArcMap.Application
0 Kudos