Raster Interpolation Analysis of Streams

04-15-2011 07:16 AM
danielfenner
New Contributor
I'm trying to color code steams segments by stream temperature.  I've got sample points distributed throughout a basin (multiple streams) and would like to create a color map of stream temperatures by using interpolation analysis. 

I've used raster interpolation (Natural Neighbor); however, I'm having problems.  Because of the numerous streams, and even meanders within a stream, a Natural Neighbor analysis is including points that are close to each other in straight linear distance, but not close to each other in stream distance (for meanders).  Natural Neighbor is also included points from adjacent streams that should not be a part of that stream's analysis.  I was hoping I could use analysis 'barriers' with the interpolation analysis (IDW, Kriging, or Natural Neighbor), but I don't see that option. For example, I could create a polyline file which would separate streams from one another and somehow divide individual stream meanders.  I'm not opposed to running the analysis on individual streams, but that won't address the meander issue. 

Any help would be much appreciated!!!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
There is the Spline with Barriers tool and also within the IDW tool there is an option at the bottom to select an input barrier polyline.
0 Kudos
danielfenner
New Contributor
Geeze.....I don't know how I missed that...thanks!!!
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
No problem, glad to be able to help out. 🙂
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos