Map index - table of contents

09-09-2020 12:08 PM
Axelvon_Matern
New Contributor III

Hi! I am using ArcGIS Pro for making the maps for a book (temporal city atlas of Stockholm 1880 - 2020). Now I’m trying to find out how to generate lists of all place names and their index placements. Surely there is a easy way to do this. Can’t find any documentation on how to do this. 

Can  anyone please point me int the right direction on this basic issue? Would be very grateful! 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Axelvon_Matern
New Contributor III

Thanks! At a first glance, I cant find any reference to generating a list tho. But I sure will dig into the documentation you provided! 

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Axel, 

Currently, there is no out-of-the-box solution you can use to create the index page(s) for a map series. You will need to use python in order to do this. 

There is an ArcMap/Data Driven Pages sample available that shows how to do this - GenerateMapBookWithIndexPages_10_v2 (https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=0588e23e83f245afaa8501e84e7b25e5)

This sample cannot be used with ArcGIS Pro since it is written using the arcpy.mapping module and works with the single layout of ArcMap.  To work with ArcGIS Pro (and a file that may contain many layouts) you will need to use arcpy.mp (Introduction to arcpy.mp—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation).  Unfortunately, we have not yet had time to create a version of the GenerateMapBookWithIndexPages sample that can be used with ArcGIS Pro. 

If you're good with code you might want to try migrating GenerateMapBookWithIndexPages_10_v2

Here are some useful links:

Python migration from 10.x to ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation  

Migrating from arcpy.mapping to ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Other map automation samples using python - 

https://www.arcgis.com/home/group.html?sortField=modified&sortOrder=desc&id=398a345905c845e38229c15f... 

Hope this helps, 

Tom

Axelvon_Matern
New Contributor III

Thanks! I really bad at coding tho. Are the scripts you are refereing to aimed towards making index pages or extracting the index numbers? I would be totally fine with finding a way to just get a text file or a way to populate my place name table with the index square numbers.

0 Kudos