AnsweredAssumed Answered

arcpy.env.workspace cannot be defined

Question asked by DrigoEditor on Sep 8, 2020
Latest reply on Sep 8, 2020 by danretired

Hi all,

I have to create a simple python script that would be used as a tool with the functionality of receiving 1 input of a switch number (working on an electric grid system) and the tool would provide as an output the station/substation adjacent to the switch, at first I thought something like SelectByLocation Radius or SpatialJoin would suffice but there is a third variable that needs to be taken into account, both the switches and the stations/substation are located within a building polygon, so I would need to confirm that the feature class line (switch) and the feature class point (station/substation) are within the same polygon.

Now I have a rough idea of making this work by using a dictionary and SelecbyAttribute/Location tools but the main problem is that the data set I'm working on is hosted on my companies local server, i.e when I created my version of the main webmap we were working on, the gdb is located online and not on a local file in my computer, the problem I'm having is that almost all of the online tutorials and learning materials assume that you write a python script starting off with

arcpy.env.workspace = r"C:\Yourfile\YourGDB.gdb"

The problem I'm having is that the only local gdb file i have on my computer is empty, which is the one which is auto created everytime you make a project and I've been unable so far to set any scripts to work with the data from the map I'm working on.

Any help is Appreciated

Cheers

Outcomes