Custom 2D Widget Development with JavaScript

Jump to solution
08-25-2020 05:53 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello All,

I want to build a custom 2D widget from scratch for use with a web map, but I am confused about which JavaScript API to use.  I noticed there is a 3.x version and a 4.x version.  I also noticed that the 3.x version has references to jimu and dojo in the example code, but it doesn't look like 4.x does according to the 4.x documentation.  I am trying to learn based on the tutorial at this link: Create a custom in-panel widget—ArcGIS Web AppBuilder (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers    My questions are:

• Which version should I use?
  • Do I need to learn dojo and jimu?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Not really. If you want to move to the next generation then don't look at WAB anymore and start using Experience Builder (which is all 4.x API, both 2D and 3D).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Damon,

WAB 2D apps are using the 3.x JS API and 3D apps use the 4.x API.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you Robert, that's really helpful.  I read that ESRI is going to retire 3.x in 2022.  Is it possible to build 2D apps using 4.x that can do the same stuff as 3.x for the sake of staying current?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Not really. If you want to move to the next generation then don't look at WAB anymore and start using Experience Builder (which is all 4.x API, both 2D and 3D).