AnsweredAssumed Answered

What is causing the "Failed to access the DBMS server error message"?

Question asked by nkroes_pcs on Jul 31, 2020
Latest reply on Aug 3, 2020 by George_Thompson-esristaff

Hello:

We are attempting to use data in an enterprise geodatabase connection. We are able to access the data for a little while, however, after 10 or 20 minutes of using the database. We receive the error below:

The funny thing is, when we close and reopen the ArcMap mxd document, we are able to connect to the geodatabase and use the data in the geodatabase. My first thought was installing an updated OBDC driver. However, we do have the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client installed which should enable us to connect with the enterprise geodatabase.

Secondly, we looked into adjusting the execution timeout or the connection time out for the SQL server connection (See the ESRI Error Support Page for Error: Failure to access the DBMS server [08S01:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. However, we elected not to change these settings as they would have affected other items in our environment.

Thirdly, we also attempted to use different credentials in the 'Connection Properties' window to connect to the geodatabase. This did not clear this issue either.

My guess is that we may have a compatibility issue between our version of SQL Server (SQL Server 2012) and our version of (ArcGIS Server 10.6.1). According to this documentationMicrosoft SQL Server 2012 SP3 (64-bit) is needed and we have straight up Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (64 bit).

Thank you for reading and please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Our Current Environment

- ArcGIS for Server 10.6.1

- SQL Server 2012 (64 bit)

- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client

Outcomes