Large Dataset Query

07-15-2020 10:06 AM
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

I am trying to find a solution for a large dataset.

I have a polygon Feature Service.  It has about 1000 records that consist of a boundaries of large swaths of the state.  Each polygon could be 1/4 to 1/2 the size of the state.  Each polygon in the FC is made up of many counties which are then dissolved into a single geometries.

To even render these polygons at one time in AGOL is almost laughable.

But I still need to find a way to enter an address or do a map click that drills down into this layer and returns information on the many polygons that is will locate.

Does anyone know how to NOT render the features in AGOL but still run a query against the Feature Service in AGOL.  It then needs to return a list with information, AND also be able to click on the results to highlight that locations boundary.

I would like to use the Query Widget and return a list and be able to highlight the record clicked on in the list...BUT I think the only way to get this to work is to render the geometries in the map...which will not happen do to their size and complexity.

How does the GP Tool Widget work....Can I set it up to allow a user to click on the map and pass the GP Tool an XY and then handle the selection on the server side and return a list.  But then I would have to call the Server side again if I click the list to show its geometry????

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Hey jay kapalczynski‌,

Couple of suggestions that will speed up the drawing of the polygons. Depending on how zoomed in you expect people to go you can run a generalize over your polygons to remove some of the vertices. This is generally not noticeable at the higher levels but as you zoom in it will start to look jagged. You may even consider having the generalised layer at a higher level and then as the user zooms in you swap from the generalized data to the original data source so that users don't see the jagged edges.

You should also check out the configurable app called Zone Lookup. You can search for an address. You can also set your app to not display data until a user clicks on an area or searches for an address. It will then only draw the polygon that matches which means your not drawing all the polygons.

Happy to discuss further.

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer was helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.