Custom Add-in Tool (Arcpy)

05-13-2020 09:56 AM
GeneSipes1
New Contributor III

I am trying to make an add-in tool for ArcMap that will allow a user to draw a rectangle to export the visible layers in their MXD to shapefiles. I used the Python Add-in Wizard to create my add-in, and I modified the python script that executes the business logic of my tool like this:

import arcpy
import pythonaddins

class ToolClass2(object):
    """Implementation for AddinTest20200513_addin.tool (Tool)"""
    def __init__(self):
        self.enabled = True
        self.cursor = 3
        self.shape = "Rectangle" 
    def onRectangle(self, rectangle_geometry):
        extent = rectangle_geometry
        output_location = arcpy.env.workspace = r'C:\Users\sipes_gene\Desktop\AddinTest20200513'

a = arcpy.Array()
        a.add(extent.lowerLeft)
        a.add(extent.lowerRight)
        a.add(extent.upperRight)
        a.add(extent.upperLeft)
        a.add(extent.lowerLeft)
        boundary_poly = arcpy.Polygon(a)

mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument("Current")
        lyrList = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd)
        for lyr in lyrList:
            if lyr.visible is True:
                out_shp = output_location + str(lyr) + ".shp"
                arcpy.SelectLayerByLocation_management(lyr, 'Intersect', boundary_poly, 0, 'New_Selection')
                copyFCs = arcpy.CopyFeatures_management(lyr, output_location, out_shp)
                arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(lyr, "CLEAR_SELECTION")
                arcpy.RefreshActiveView()
                return copyFCs

I know I am very close to pulling this off because when I run it in ArcMap it will return the first feature class in my TOC as a shapefile, based on the rectangle I drew, but then it stops and does not proceed to the rest of my feature classes. Somehow my loop isn't working correctly. I'm wondering if I need to put the array inside the loop?

#arcpy scripting

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarianneRohrbach
New Contributor III

You probably solved it already by yourself. In case not: Just remove the return statement and push the arcpy.RefreshActiveView() statement to the end of the script at the same inset level as the for loup. 

0 Kudos